So I slipped right in without skylining myself, quietly set up the tripod and went to work. Hours later, no deer, no elk, no goats , no moose, nada, zip, zilch. That's why it's called hunting, not shooting I guess.
On my way out I saw a coyote track on top of my inbound tracks, so that was cool.
On Sunday I saw a hunting show about a Desert bighorn hunt down by Lake Powell.

This is a ram, and if you compared him to a Rocky Mountain Bighorn, you'd see like most desert species he's thinner and short haired. His horns are also thinner, than his northern relative. Here is a ewe and lamb.
A lot of the animals in Anasazi and Freemont petroglyphs are sheep. For a long time they were present throughout the Southwest. But as domesticated sheep moved in hundreds of years ago, they brought diseases that reduced sheep numbers in Utah to the low hundreds.
Fortunately several groups, mostly hunting-based, have raised millions of dollars and bought large tracts of habitat to bring this species back. Transplanted sheep were brought in to boost the genetic diversity and numbers. Now Desert bighorns are regularly seen in the Virgin River Gorge next to I-15. They are also scattered in the San Rafael Swell and along the Green River.
The tags are very rare, and my dad has been putting in for many years for one. The above mentioned show really displayed the difficulty of killing one, even with a tag and young guys helping. We'll see where we are when dad draws the tag( my walker pushing his wheelchair.)
It also showed the austere beauty and unforgiving terrain of the desert. I work with the scouts and I try to alternate between high mountains and deserts for longer campouts. I think those places where we quickly learn our weaknesses are the places where we can build lasting foundations of strength and confidence. We can say " I survived there, I can survive here."

3 comments:
I'm sure the grouses' conversation went something like that. I can't believe they out smarted you like that.
Sorry no big game sitings. Good job for going on a big hike at least.
I remember seeing some sheep by Green River on one of the river trips. They are beautiful animals.
I love your ability to tell a story. When I ride my bike up the switchbacks on Loafer there's often a blue grouse that runs up the track ahead of me for a ways.
Steve, you and a good looking buck have inspired me to write about hunting and writing. Take a look: http://goaliesanxiety.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment